just a mom.

when I first started staying at home, I was really uncomfortable with the idea of being "just a stay at home mom" I was used to earning an income, used to having an identity outside of the home.  So I started a baby headband business on etsy, after all what else was I going to do with all this extra time while the baby napped? (KICKING MYSELF NOW... WHAT THE HECK!)

Needless to say, my business failed, I was at best a poor imitation of some great,

great baby headbands out there.  Plus every time I put them on my little... they just seemed uncomfortable.  Plus she got older, I started nannying and that free time I slowly whittled away and I put my business ideas to rest.

I am at a point where I am comfortable being "just a stay at home mom."  I truly believe that the most important thing I can poor my energy into these days is my toddler who demands most of it.  I don't want to be ashamed of staying at home or raising my daughters.  However, I also don't want to go after dreams just because I am scared.  I was really caught by the quote from Noelle Pikus-Pace who rocked it in the Olympics this year.

"You don't have to choose.  My family always comes first.  I want my kids to know that you can achieve your dreams even as a mom.  I don't want to give up, because what kind of example would that set?  It's about going for a medal along with my family."

I was so caught by those words... you can achieve your dreams - even as a mom.  I know in my heart, that even as a mom and maybe BECAUSE I am a mom, there is something out there for me.  I am not sure what it is going to look like or when it will come to me - just because I feel assured of something in my heart doesn't mean it's coming tomorrow.  However, I am going to put feelers out there in my mind background... what would bring ME happiness, what would be feasible time-wise, monetary concerns aside - what are my passions. 

I know I love to write, even though it's sporadically, I know I love to cook and bake especially.  So this year, I am going to let those things ruminate and know in my heart I am still able to go after my dreams. 

No comments