settling in.

we have lived in our house for about two months and although the honey do list grows.  we are slowly but surely settling in.

like most big moves in life, you prepare yourself for what you think will be hard (moving, finances, styling decisions, etc.) but life always throws your curve balls.  personally, I was quite unprepared for just how emotionally overwhelmed I would be in moving.  Outside of all the other stresses, just being in this big(ger) house, with my kids, analyzing the decision.  It was a LOT.  Plus unless you build new construction, it almost feels like you are moving into someone elses life.  It's definitely a different feeling, you own it, but it doesn't feel like yours.  Completely different from how I felt renting houses in the past.

That being said, things are clipping along at a nice place.  We've made pretty much all our paint decisions, made some hard decisions (delaying a fence installation till next year because the money, it does not grow on trees) and have our flooring picked out although the purchasing will be delayed most likely until over the winter.  We painted our shutters, front door, and porch trim black and did our mulch, we still have to paint the back shutters and garage door.

The kids, for the most part have been stars.  Let's be honest, Lane just sleeps, and while there are times Addy is acting out, she is usually one to roll with the punches.  It's been good.  We are settling in, dreaming big, and I am so so thankful for the community that we purchased our home in.  We went to the Memorial day parade over the weekend and my husband ran into a buddy from high school (we moved back to his hometown).  He had such a great and unique high school experience, they were all so close and the town has remained so for the most part. 

I went to a private school and while it worked out ok, I would never send my kids to one unless I had to for education reasons (ie. we were in a terrible school district and their futures would be better) you lose so much community and a sense of belonging.  All of my friends lived far away, I spent a lot of high school very lonely because parents don't want to drive me 45 minutes one way to hang out.  I didn't know any kids in my town and so the community events that normal high schoolers went to, I sat out.  Looking back, I wish I would have made the decision to attend public school (it was my choice but highly encouraged I stay in private) but, such is life.

To make extra money, I have also been busy selling things on ebay.  Not only our old stuff (now I wish I wouldn't have given away all that stuff before we moved!) but re-selling garage sale finds.  I found one house that had a bunch of like new babyGap toddler clothes.  I bought the bin, fished out what I wanted for Addy and have been re-selling the rest.  We have also been garage-saleing quite a bit and while we need to cut back on the spending, we have made some great finds.  (I got natural bamboo blinds for $1 per blind! WTF! SCORE!)

Life has been a good balance, for the most part.  Busy but full of family time.  Work hard, play hard.

Also I have started marathon training! YES! BRING IT ON!

No comments