Getting there

It's so odd these little memories that pop into your head as you get older.  For me especially, I have a lot of nostalgia about my time in college.  Although it had many growing pains, it was the first time outside of childhood I can remember being happy.  Anyways, although I still listen to a lot of similar things as college a lot of the specific music I listened to back then (death cab for cutie, Damien rice, iron and wine, sufjan stevens) I haven't listened to in a while.

Well, I've been rediscovering a lot of these old music faves and it's been a nice little jog down memory lane while still remaining in the present.  Sufjan just released an album that came out of his mothers death and it is the most raw and touching piece of work I have heard in years.  Losing someone profound in your life changes you forever.  It's like this unspoken language- an unspoken heartache- hearing someone put it to words was so incredibly helpful for me.  Highly highly recommend.

Another little gem that popped into my head was Coconut Records.  Did you listen to him? It was Jason Schwartans solo project.  Just catchy little poppy indie tunes.  "West Coast" remains my personal favorite but they are honestly all solid.

Time is a tricky mistress, is it not.  As I near thirty, I am becoming aware of my own mortality in a new way.  Just, you know settling into the beginning of the middle of my life.  It's an odd feeling.  I just try to remind myself- there's always room to start over before I feel too melancholy and pathetic (not that I am unhappy it just feels weird to be at the end of beginnings).

Ok go enjoy the weekend and hopefully the sun!!

No comments